Celebrating the World Environment Day 2015 with the 3 R’s
On Friday the 5th 2015, the United Nations is celebrating World Environment Day in recognition that “the well-being of humanity, the environment and the functioning of the economy ultimately depend upon the responsible management of the planet’s natural resources.”
The theme for 2015 is “Seven Billion Dreams. One Planet. Consume with Care.” As people consume far more natural resources than what the planet can sustainably provide, World Environment Day is a reminder to do more and better with less.
According to the World Environment Day program overview at http://www.unep.org/wed, “by 2050, if current consumption and production patterns remain the same and with a rising population expected to reach 9.6 billion, we will need three planets to sustain our ways of living and consumption.”
With the ‘Seven Billion Dreams’ there is a “3 R” Action Plan that can help reduce our consumption of the natural resources towards a greener future..
REDUCE: Lets reduce the amount of waste we produce.
- Buy products that don’t have a lot of packaging.
- Borrow or co-share anything that you want to buy and not use always
- Try walking, taking the public bus, or riding your bike instead of driving to reduce pollution.
- Reduce the garbage to be taken to the landfill by making compost manure for your gardens
- Do not print on any paper unnecessary
- Turning off lights not in use.
REUSE: Instead of throwing things away, try to find ways to use them again
- Go shopping with a sack cloth bag rather than waiting to be packed in another plastic paper bag
- Reuse Plastic containers, Coffee cans, shoe boxes, and other types of containers.
- donate old and outgrown clothes, toys, furniture, and other things that you don’t want anymore.
- Use long-lasting silverware and dishes instead of disposable plastic utensils and plates.
- Store food and food stuffs in reusable plastic containers.
RECYCLE: Create new products out of the old and wasted materials.
- Purchased products that contain recycled materials.
- Set apart the recyclable waste for the recycling company, don’t dump together with the non-recyclable ones
The 3R’s Action Plans above are just points to guide to the endless “Seven Billion Dreams” be creative and innovative.
by Jonathan N.
“I pledge to, dream, activate and share towards a greener future. A future that will seek to enhance sustainable consumption of Natural Resources, through promoting the 3-R’s (Reuse Reduce and Recycle).”